(1 Jan 2020) Updated 10 Jan
KEN PLAYLE RIP
The death is announced of Ken Playle, Past President 2006, who died Tuesday 31 December 2019. The funeral will take place at 2 pm on Tuesday 21 January 2020 at Colchester Crematorium, Mersea Road CO2 8RU. Family flowers only. Afterwards at Mersea Island Bowls Club, CO5 8AJ. Donations if desired to St. Helena Hospice, c/o East of England Co-operative Funeral Services, 44 Kingsland Road, West Mersea CO5 8RA
(18 Jan 2020)
MARK WILSON OPEN PAIRS
Details of this fundraising event at Essex County BC on Sunday 3 May 2020 on the link below.
(19 Jan 2020) Updated 2 Feb
ROY COPPING RIP
The death is announced of Roy Copping (77), formerly of the now-disbanded Pegasus BC. Roy was a regular member of the Middleton Cup team in the ’80s and a great supporter up to more recent times. The funeral will take place on Wednesday 12 February 2020 at Bowers Gifford Crematorium, Church Road, Bowers Gifford, Basildon SS13 2HG at 10 am.
(21 Jan 2020)
A meeting to discuss the overall future of Coaching in Essex will be held on Sunday 16 February 2020 at Falcon Indoor BC. This meeting is not confined to existing coaches, either Coach Bowls or EBCS, but to any bowler who may wish to become a coach or anyone who has constructive ideas on the subject. Full details on the link below.
(7 Feb 2020)
2019 BOWLER OF THE YEAR
Essex’s Edward Morris (Essex County BC) has been shortlisted for 2019 Bowler of the Year. Online voting for the Awards run until midnight on Tuesday 18th February. To cast your votes, visit https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MBOTY_2019
(23 Feb 2020)
BOWLER OF THE YEAR - EDWARD MORRIS
Congratulations to Essex County's Edward Morris who was announced as Bowler of the Year at the Bowls England Men's Annual Dinner.
(10 Mar 2020)
COACHING REVIEW UPDATE
(14 Mar 2020)
SELECTED TEAMS ISSUE NO. 1
Games 1-8, 12 May – 4 June
(18 Mar 2020)
Following an Emergency Meeting of Board members, Bowls England has announced the cancellation of all its domestic events ahead of the 2020 lawn bowls season in response to Government advice and growing concerns from bowlers about how the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak will impact lawn bowls. The National Championships are cancelled in their entirety for 2020 (including all County Championship qualifying rounds). This decision has been taken because most County Associations hold their qualifying rounds leading to the National Championships from May to July and we believe it is impractical for these to be completed this season. The full statement is on the BE site
(19 Mar 2020)
2020 MATCH PROGRAMME
The 2020 Match Programme has been cancelled as a result of COVID-19 but the Match Secretary hopes to use all the home venues allocated in the published 2020 Match Programme in the 2021 season.
(20 Mar 2020)
ESSEX VICE PRESIDENT’S ASSOCIATION
The Essex Vice President’s Association has cancelled all their 2020 outdoor games
(23 Mar 2020)
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS & COUNTY COMPETITIONS
Following advice from the UK Government concerning the Covid19 outbreak and the statement from Bowls England on the suspension of all National Championships and Competitions for 2020, the Emergency Committee of ECBA has made the following decisions.
1. All County Championships which lead to qualification to the National finals are suspended indefinitely.
2. A decision on the suspension of the County Competitions (see below) will be made no later than 30 June 2020.
County Competitions include Benevolent Singles, Secretaries Singles, Unbadged Singles, Double Fours, North Essex Fours, South Essex Fours, Shield, Inter Group Knock Out, Wally Ball Shield.
(24 Mar 2020)
REFUND OF FEES
The ECBA County Treasurer informs that all Bowls England fees will be refunded as soon as possible though he does not yet know how soon BE will be making the refunds to the counties.
Will Clubs please provide your group Secretary with your banking details ie. Bank sorting code, name of the bank and A/c number to pass on to the County Treasurer for the refund. He will do this as quickly as possible, but he will have to process this for 140 clubs.
Concerning County Fees, he will decide this when the outcome of the county competitions is decided (Refer to item National Championships & County Competitions dated 23 March). On the affiliation fee. We will still have to manage the association, so will continue to monitor our expenses and make a refund either with the county competitions if they do not take place or possible reduce next year’s affiliation fee if our financial position allows.
(1 Apr 2020)
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR CLUBS
Sport England and the Government has put in place a number of initiatives to assist clubs and small companies during this period of uncertainty.
Full details on the link below.
(24 Apr 2020)
BUSINESS SUPPORT GRANT
The County Administrator wishes to remind Clubs of the above Business Support Grant. If club Treasurers have not already applied for a Business Support Grant, they should do so as soon as possible. Application forms are via the Clubs local Council. It is a very easy form to complete all that is required are the Clubs Banking Details and their Business Rates Account Number. The grant is for the sum of £10,000 and is normally paid within five working days. The other stipulation to obtain the grant is that the Clubs Current Rateable Value is less than £51,000. Any further questions do not hesitate to contact Tony Ellis County Administrator. Tel: 01245 256730.
(27 Apr 2020)
EMERGENCY EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
On 23 April the Emergency Committee of the Executive Council held a meeting via the Zoom conferencing application.
Those taking part were: S Dron, D King, R Dodd, A Ellis, A Wightman, S Hill, P Finney, T Mizen and J Tully.
1. It was agreed that the stock of County Handbooks would be stored. Further decisions will be taken at a later date in relation to the distribution of the books.
2. Action by the Treasurer in relation to refunds to clubs was approved by the committee.
3. The Competition Secretary reiterated the notice previously posted on the County Website, in that all Championships leading to Leamington would be suspended indefinitely in line with Bowls England directives. The domestic County Competitions would be suspended and a final decision would be deferred until the end of June. This was approved by the committee. It was further agreed that the Ashford Cup would be suspended until 2021.
4. The Match Secretary reported that the entire match programme would be suspended until 2021 season, some venues may need to be amended and dates would be altered to match the Bowls England calendar. It was noted that all Bowls England Celebration matches were cancelled.
5. The Chairman reported that several Essex Clubs had successfully applied for a business support grant (£10,000). It was agreed that a note be posted on the County Website advising Clubs to apply as soon as possible for this grant.
6. There was a discussion about the County Luncheon, the action of the Chairman in postponing the event until 7 November 2021 was approved by the committee. Further discussions about any potential event during 2020 would be deferred until a later date.
7. A discussion was held in relation to the Bowls England National Register of members. Any member or Club having questions on this subject should contact Tony Ellis the County Administrator.
8. The committee will hold another video conference meeting on 14 May, subject to any changes in Government advice on the lock-down and how it may impact on Sporting events.