ECBA ARCHIVE 2020
(1 Jan 2020) Updated 10 Jan
KEN PLAYLE RIP
The death is announced of Ken Playle, Past President 2006, who died Tuesday 31 December 2019. The funeral will take place at 2 pm on Tuesday 21 January 2020 at Colchester Crematorium, Mersea Road CO2 8RU. Family flowers only. Afterwards at Mersea Island Bowls Club, CO5 8AJ. Donations if desired to St. Helena Hospice, c/o East of England Co-operative Funeral Services, 44 Kingsland Road, West Mersea CO5 8RA
(18 Jan 2020)
MARK WILSON OPEN PAIRS
Details of this fundraising event at Essex County BC on Sunday 3 May 2020 on the link below.
(19 Jan 2020) Updated 2 Feb
ROY COPPING RIP
The death is announced of Roy Copping (77), formerly of the now-disbanded Pegasus BC. Roy was a regular member of the Middleton Cup team in the ’80s and a great supporter up to more recent times. The funeral will take place on Wednesday 12 February 2020 at Bowers Gifford Crematorium, Church Road, Bowers Gifford, Basildon SS13 2HG at 10 am.
(21 Jan 2020)
A meeting to discuss the overall future of Coaching in Essex will be held on Sunday 16 February 2020 at Falcon Indoor BC. This meeting is not confined to existing coaches, either Coach Bowls or EBCS, but to any bowler who may wish to become a coach or anyone who has constructive ideas on the subject. Full details on the link below.
(7 Feb 2020)
2019 BOWLER OF THE YEAR
Essex’s Edward Morris (Essex County BC) has been shortlisted for 2019 Bowler of the Year. Online voting for the Awards run until midnight on Tuesday 18th February. To cast your votes, visit https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MBOTY_2019
(23 Feb 2020)
BOWLER OF THE YEAR - EDWARD MORRIS
Congratulations to Essex County's Edward Morris who was announced as Bowler of the Year at the Bowls England Men's Annual Dinner.
(10 Mar 2020)
COACHING REVIEW UPDATE
(14 Mar 2020)
SELECTED TEAMS ISSUE NO. 1
Games 1-8, 12 May – 4 June
(18 Mar 2020)
Following an Emergency Meeting of Board members, Bowls England has announced the cancellation of all its domestic events ahead of the 2020 lawn bowls season in response to Government advice and growing concerns from bowlers about how the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak will impact lawn bowls. The National Championships are cancelled in their entirety for 2020 (including all County Championship qualifying rounds). This decision has been taken because most County Associations hold their qualifying rounds leading to the National Championships from May to July and we believe it is impractical for these to be completed this season. The full statement is on the BE site
(19 Mar 2020)
2020 MATCH PROGRAMME
The 2020 Match Programme has been cancelled as a result of COVID-19 but the Match Secretary hopes to use all the home venues allocated in the published 2020 Match Programme in the 2021 season.
(20 Mar 2020)
ESSEX VICE PRESIDENT’S ASSOCIATION
The Essex Vice President’s Association has cancelled all their 2020 outdoor games
(23 Mar 2020)
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS & COUNTY COMPETITIONS
Following advice from the UK Government concerning the Covid19 outbreak and the statement from Bowls England on the suspension of all National Championships and Competitions for 2020, the Emergency Committee of ECBA has made the following decisions.
1. All County Championships which lead to qualification to the National finals are suspended indefinitely.
2. A decision on the suspension of the County Competitions (see below) will be made no later than 30 June 2020.
County Competitions include Benevolent Singles, Secretaries Singles, Unbadged Singles, Double Fours, North Essex Fours, South Essex Fours, Shield, Inter Group Knock Out, Wally Ball Shield.
(24 Mar 2020)
REFUND OF FEES
The ECBA County Treasurer informs that all Bowls England fees will be refunded as soon as possible though he does not yet know how soon BE will be making the refunds to the counties.
Will Clubs please provide your group Secretary with your banking details ie. Bank sorting code, name of the bank and A/c number to pass on to the County Treasurer for the refund. He will do this as quickly as possible, but he will have to process this for 140 clubs.
Concerning County Fees, he will decide this when the outcome of the county competitions is decided (Refer to item National Championships & County Competitions dated 23 March). On the affiliation fee. We will still have to manage the association, so will continue to monitor our expenses and make a refund either with the county competitions if they do not take place or possible reduce next year’s affiliation fee if our financial position allows.
(1 Apr 2020)
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR CLUBS
Sport England and the Government has put in place a number of initiatives to assist clubs and small companies during this period of uncertainty.
Full details on the link below.
(24 Apr 2020)
BUSINESS SUPPORT GRANT
The County Administrator wishes to remind Clubs of the above Business Support Grant. If club Treasurers have not already applied for a Business Support Grant, they should do so as soon as possible. Application forms are via the Clubs local Council. It is a very easy form to complete all that is required are the Clubs Banking Details and their Business Rates Account Number. The grant is for the sum of £10,000 and is normally paid within five working days. The other stipulation to obtain the grant is that the Clubs Current Rateable Value is less than £51,000. Any further questions do not hesitate to contact Tony Ellis County Administrator. Tel: 01245 256730.
(27 Apr 2020)
EMERGENCY EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
On 23 April the Emergency Committee of the Executive Council held a meeting via the Zoom conferencing application.
Those taking part were: S Dron, D King, R Dodd, A Ellis, A Wightman, S Hill, P Finney, T Mizen and J Tully.
1. It was agreed that the stock of County Handbooks would be stored. Further decisions will be taken at a later date in relation to the distribution of the books.
2. Action by the Treasurer in relation to refunds to clubs was approved by the committee.
3. The Competition Secretary reiterated the notice previously posted on the County Website, in that all Championships leading to Leamington would be suspended indefinitely in line with Bowls England directives. The domestic County Competitions would be suspended and a final decision would be deferred until the end of June. This was approved by the committee. It was further agreed that the Ashford Cup would be suspended until 2021.
4. The Match Secretary reported that the entire match programme would be suspended until 2021 season, some venues may need to be amended and dates would be altered to match the Bowls England calendar. It was noted that all Bowls England Celebration matches were cancelled.
5. The Chairman reported that several Essex Clubs had successfully applied for a business support grant (£10,000). It was agreed that a note be posted on the County Website advising Clubs to apply as soon as possible for this grant.
6. There was a discussion about the County Luncheon, the action of the Chairman in postponing the event until 7 November 2021 was approved by the committee. Further discussions about any potential event during 2020 would be deferred until a later date.
7. A discussion was held in relation to the Bowls England National Register of members. Any member or Club having questions on this subject should contact Tony Ellis the County Administrator.
8. The committee will hold another video conference meeting on 14 May, subject to any changes in Government advice on the lock-down and how it may impact on Sporting events.
(4 May 2020)
REFUNDS FROM BOWLS ENGLAND
Bowls England refunds are underway and Clubs will receive back the following.
Men’s £5 affiliation to Bowls England
Ladies £5 affiliation to Bowls England
Men’s National Competition fees that lead to Leamington Spa, at £4.70p per head (£2.50 under 25).
Ladies National Competition fees at £2.50p per head (ECWBA will be repaying their competition fees separately).
(12 May 2020)
HOLDING STATEMENT ON REOPENING OF BOWLING GREENS
Bowls England have issued a Holding Statement which can be viewed on the Bowls England site:-
(15 May 2020)
SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE FOR LAWN BOWLS CLUBS
Covid-19: Bowls England Supplementary Guidance for Lawn Bowls Clubs Approved by Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) – May 14th 2020
(15 May 2020)
MINUTES OF ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE
On 14 May the Emergency Committee of the Executive Council held a meeting via the Zoom conferencing application. Those taking part were: S Dron, D King, R Dodd, A Ellis, A Wightman, S Hill, P Finney, T Mizen and J Tully.
1. The Secretary informed the committee that he had received a report from one Group which indicated that the local authority for their area would not be permitting use of council greens. He further reported that the committee would have to consider whether the next scheduled Executive Council meeting (September) could be held. A final decision on this was deferred until more information became available from Government re the relaxation of current restrictions. There is an option for a video conference (Zoom) meeting if required. Consideration would also have to be given in relation to the Annual General Meeting due to be held in November. Again a final decision on this was deferred to a future meeting of the committee.
2. The Treasurer commented on a financial statement that had been circulated to the committee prior to the meeting, essentially the County finances are in good order. All competition fees (Leamington Championships) had been refunded either by BACS or cheque. It was pointed out that where clubs had entered competitions ie: National Double Fours etc, and paid direct to Bowls England (BE), then refunds would only be made by BE if a request is made by the entrant no later than September. If no request is made then the fee will be retained by BE.
3. The Competition Secretary said there was nothing to report, other than to reiterate that a final decision on internal County Competitions would be made no later than the end of June. There was a discussion on the fees already paid for internal County Competitions, and those proposed for 2021 season, further discussion with a view to a decision was deferred to the next meeting as an agenda item.
4. The Match Secretary had no new information to report. He pointed out the communication that had been circulated by Bowls Suffolk, this was noted by the committee. The Secretary reported that the BE protocol such as it was had been circulated to Group Secretaries and any further information would be similarly circulated.
5. The Chairman had commented to BE re the membership scheme and awaited a substantive reply.
6. The new coaching strategy was discussed and copies would be distributed to the members of the committee.
7. The BE Covid19 survey had been recirculated to clubs with a request that they complete and return to BE.
8. The committee will hold another video conference meeting on 28 May, subject to any changes in Government advice on the lock-down and how it may impact on Sporting events.
(31 May 2020)
MINUTES OF ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE
The Emergency Committee of the ECBA Executive Council met via the Zoom conferencing App at 5 pm on Thursday 28 May. Those taking part were Tony Ellis, Alex Wightman, Pat Finney, Stephen Hill, Sandy Dron, Dave King, Richard Dodd, Terry Mizen and John Tully
The Chairman opened the meeting with a welcome to all present and hoped they were keeping well and staying safe.
The Secretary had nothing new to report.
The Treasurer had nothing new to report.
The Competition Secretary had nothing new to report, as previously agreed on final decisions on which if any of the County Competitions would be run would be deferred until the end of June.
The Match Secretary had nothing new to report.
The Chairman asked if anyone had anything to report on the opening of clubs around the various Groups in the County. A general discussion followed where it was identified that parts of the County would not see any bowling due to local councils, not re-opening bowling green facilities, whereas in other parts greens were already open and some were planning to open. Consideration was given to BE guidance in that only three rinks should be utilised rather than six and the issue of spectators being allowed. It was resolved that this decision was in the hands of individual clubs and as a consequence, any liability arising from this would be a matter for the clubs.
BE membership scheme: The Chairman reported that this item was not on the agenda for the next BE Board meeting.
The Chairman reported that the Essex Coaching protocol document had been finalised and would be circulated to both the Indoor and Outdoor Executives for consideration in due course. Terry Mizen reported that his club had negotiated the attendance of John McGuiness and Kirk Smith to deliver a coaching session in the future when circumstances allow.
The Chairman stated that at the last meeting of BE (15 May) it had been reported that BE staff were still working from home until further notice. Unification of the British Isles Bowls Council and the British Isles Women's Bowls Council would be going ahead. It was confirmed that all clubs and counties would retain membership and affiliation to BE, irrespective of fees being refunded. The new CEO of BE would take up the post on 1 June.
Any other business:
It was reported that the Essex Ladies BA were beginning to refund some fees.
Clarification of Govt guidance around two members of different households playing bowls together was given, in that it would be permitted providing appropriate social distancing was practised.
It was agreed that if Groups wanted to receive County Handbooks they should be provided.
The committee will hold another meeting on 25 June. The meeting closed at 5.30 pm
(1 Jun 2020)
JUST A THOUGHT!
If we had not been in lockdown the President’s Tour would have taken place. We would have had a Middleton Cup Trial and one game in the competition. We would have played four Eastern Counties League matches, five Friendlies and three rounds of the Ashford Cup. In the County Championships, Preliminary and 1st rounds of the Singles, Pairs and Triples and a Preliminary of the Fours would have been played. Preliminary and 1st rounds of various other competitions would have been completed. IF!
(16 Jun 2020)
The County Executive has approved the running of the Secretaries, Benevolent and Unbadged singles competitions. The draws have been posted on this website and appear on the Competitions page highlighted in RED. Copies will be emailed to club secretaries via the Group Secretaries along with a contact list. It must be emphasised that all prevailing Government and Bowls England advice and restrictions must be adhered to when playing rounds of these competitions. All winning competitors in each round should communicate the result to the appropriate result secretary no later than 10 pm on the day of the match. This is particularly relevant as there is often only 7 days between rounds. Club names will be appended to all the draws is due course.
(2 Jul 2020)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR THE SPORTS SECTOR
Bowls England COVID-19, Additional Guidance for Lawn Bowls Issued: 2nd July 2020
(3 Jul 2020)
ESSEX COUNTY BC DOUBLE TRIPLES OPEN TOURNAMENT
Essex County is organizing a County-wide Club Double Triples tournament. Full details and entry form on link below.
(6 Jul 2020)
ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE MINUTES
The ECBA Executive Council (Emergency Committee) met on Thursday 2 July 2020 at 5 pm.
(6 Jul 2020)
COVID-19 MARKERS GUIDE
(10 Jul 2020)
SPORT ENGLAND’S COMMUNITY EMERGENCY FUND
(24 Jul 2020)
After 21 years as a member of the Executive Council, I have notified the County Secretary and the County Administrator that I will not be seeking re-election, as Press Representative, at the November Annual General Meeting. Arrangements will be made to transfer ownership of the website.
(25 Jul 2020)
ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE MINUTES
The ECBA Executive Council (Emergency Committee) met on Thursday 23 July 2020 at 5 pm.
(1 Aug 2020)
2021 PROVISIONAL MATCH PROGRAMME
The 2021 Provisional Match Programme can be viewed from the link below
(3 Aug 2020)
COVID-19 ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE
Additional Guidance for Lawn Bowls Issued 31 July 2020
Bowls England recommends that all clubs consider this document together with the Government guidance. All items may be adapted as necessary to meet your club’s specific circumstances, so long as your actions remain consistent with Government advice and social distancing requirements. This is applicable from Saturday 1 August and replaces all other guidance that we have issued.
(12 Aug 2020) (Updated 20 Aug 2020)
MARY ANN CLARKE RIP
The death, on Tuesday 11 August 2020, is notified of Mary Clarke, wife of Past President Ken Clarke. Private cremation 1 September 2020. Family flowers only, donations if desired to Cancer Research or St. Helena Hospice, c/o Freedom Funerals, Hawkins Road, Colchester CO2 8JY.
Funeral Webcast on Tuesday 1 September at 12.30 pm. https://www.obitus.com/ Log in with User name Yuye1156 and Password 152528
(26 Aug 2020)
ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE MINUTES
The ECBA Executive Council (Emergency Committee) met on Thursday 13 August 2020.
(27 Aug 2020)
DAVID J BRYANT CBE – RIP
The death is announced of David Bryant CBE, aged 88.
(4 Sep 2020)
There are two important notices on the dedicated Coaching page.
Advertisement for Coaching Safeguarding Officer. County Development Officer. County Coach.
Coaching News update
(7 Sep 2020)
ESSEX COUNTY BC DOUBLE TRIPLES OPEN FINAL
Saturday 12 September, 10 am at Essex County BC. Silverthorn v Writtle, all visitors welcome.
(10 Sep 2020)
COVID-19 GUIDANCE UPDATE
Further to Tuesday's Government statement, Bowls England confirms that clubs can continue to offer organised bowling activity in a Covid-safe manner. Sport England has announced, following clarification from Government, that people can continue to take part in organised outdoor sports when restrictions on social gatherings are introduced from Monday 14 September. In light of the clarification received, Bowls England guidance issued on 31 July 2020 remains unchanged.
Latest Bowls England Guidance https://www.bowlsengland.com/coronavirus-guidance/
(10 Sep 2020)
From The County Competition Secretary
Dear ECBA Member,
Please read the presentation on the Competition Portal. (Attachment below)
A message has gone out to all Group Secretaries asking that the presentation be circulated to all clubs.
It was intended to hold a series of presentations across the various groups before the end of September to highlight the advantages of the new competition portal system, as well as taking questions. This is not now possible due to changes to the Government restrictions on gatherings.
Therefore in October, the system will go live and members can register and then enter those County Competitions they want to. The registration and entry to competitions are really simple and is similar to the system used by Bowls England.
The closing date for entries will be 31st December 2020.
If you have any questions please contact either myself on or 07970 100634 or Terry Mizen on or 07599 711890.
John Tully, Competition Secretary.
The Competition Portal now has a dedicated page from the Competitions Menu
(11 Sep 2020)
NEW FORM X
There will be a new issue of Form X, as demonstrated in the recently circulated Competition Portal presentation. This form will contain all of the information required by the County, for inclusion in the Yearbook and notification to Bowls England. This will be circulated where possible by email to Club Secretaries by the end of September. I would be grateful if Club Secretaries would complete the form and return where possible by email to the County Treasurer.
John Tully, ECBA Competition Secretary
(18 Sep 2020)
NEW FORM X
For the information of Club Secretaries:
A new version of Form X has been sent to Group Secretaries for circulation to Club Secretaries.
This form should be completed and returned to the County Competition Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 31 October 2020.
(28 Sep 2020)
CONGRATULATIONS TO EDWARD MORRIS
Edward Morris (ECBC), the reigning men’s national singles champion, has been called up to the Bowls England elite squad for the first time.
It is anticipated that both the men and women’s 2022 Commonwealth Games teams will be chosen from the 16 players involved
To read the full article from BE website, click here
(11 Oct 2020)
BOWLS ENGLAND ANNUAL SURVEY
All clubs are invited to take part in the Bowls England Annual Club survey, following on from the Covid19 survey carried out earlier this year
Link to the survey (and results of the Covid survey) available here
(21 Oct 2020)
ECBA COMPETITIONS PORTAL
A message from John Tully (Honorary Competition Secretary, ECBA)
Following a decision by the Executive Council to change the method of entry to County Competitions, much work has been done in the background by a small team of colleagues
I am delighted to be able to announce that the new Competitions Portal is now live and available for members to register and enter competitions.
Access can be gained by selecting <ECBA Competitions Portal> from the drop-down menu under <Competitions> at the top of the home page.
(23 Oct 2020)
ECBA EMERGENCY COMMITTEE MINUTES
The ECBA Executive Council (Emergency Committee) met on Tuesday 8 September 2020.
(31 Oct 2020)
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The ECBA Emergency Executive Committee have decided that the AGM (scheduled for 7th November) cannot take place
In lieu of the normal AGM documentation, the Officer’s reports can be download here
The relevant Financial reports can be downloaded here
The financial reports password is available in any ECBA handbook, it is the surname of the recipient of Life Membership in 1999 (all upper case)